Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:45:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qcam in kernel - build died

> > Ugh.  Please don't kill the NFS ccode[1] until after I've had a chance
> > to hack on it in a nice clean framework so that it can actually be made
> > (1) to work, and (2) to be understandable to mortals who don't have the
> > inclination to understand why there are all these wierd upcalls all over
> > the place [2].
>
> You want the NFS code?  It's yours!  That poor code has lacked a
> maintainer/mentor/father/... ever since Doug Rabson was scooped up by
> an alien spaceship with suspiciously familiar markings and forced to
> work on NT.

Are we willing to wear Terry's architectural reforms?  FWIW, I have one
(minor) one here ready to be committed.  He appears to have worked out
the sort of crouton-sized bits that us mortals can deal with.  (yay!)

> And unlike the situation with the quickcam, the Linux folks have
> already proven that putting NFS into user space is *not* a good idea
> (at least not for production work) and you are safe from competition
> on that quarter. :-)

No fear.  Can we fund a small NetApp box for him to compete with?
Gotta give the guy some incentive. 8)