Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:44:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large MFS on NFS-swap?

:On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 04:08:04PM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
:> We have an application which is precompiled, for linux, and stupid.
:> It uses (at times large) scratch files.  We want to run this on our
:> diskless machines (CPU farm) to cut the per-cpu cost of the
:> computation ($200/drive starts getting significant at a few hundred
:> machines).
:>
:> Anyways, I've tried:
:>
:> [1:26:2025]root@spitfire:/usr/u/dgilbert>  mount_mfs -T test -s 2097152 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/null /mnt

    Use the vn device to create a swap-backed filesystem.  'man vnconfig'.
    (In current VN functionality has been merged into MD and MD in swap-backed
    mode should be used instead ).  If you turn softupdates on on the VN
    based filesystem, it should work quite nicely for small files and
    yet still be able to handle the very large files (assuming you have
    sufficient swap).

					-Matt