Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:03:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Carah <pete@news.interworld.net>
To:        davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pop server with virtual domains

In article <Mutt.19970106192040.davidn@labs.blaze.net.au> you write:

>I'm looking for a POP3 (preferably imap too) server that
>handles virtual domains. In particular, it needs to handle
>"virtual users" of those domains as well, which is essentially
>to avoid setting up user accounts on a box that needs to handle
>mail on behalf of anything up to 60 or so domains.

>Now, I can set up sendmail with virtual domain support, or
>I can even map incoming mail to those domains to special
>mailers that handle local delivery, verify against a
>userlist that is not in /etc/passwd etc. so that side of
>it is not a problem. What I'm looking for is the other
>component - a pop-capable server that can take connections
>on behalf of a list of domains, use a domain-specific
>user/password list and access mailboxes in a domain-specific
>location.

>Does such a package exist?

I have one running here; it was a hack to popper 2.1.4 grabbed
from qualcomm's site.  For similar reasons to web servers, you
have to have an ip address per desired pop3 domain; there is
nothing in the protocol which communicates this into to you otherwise.
Keeps its own password files and mail spool directories.  There
may be some security holes I don't realize from the fact that
all references to a given virtual domain's mail are done under
one user id.  It does allow for someone from the domain to change
passwords, but I haven't ported any of the poppasswd sample
routines from qualcomm to work with my password scheme (it wouldn't
be hard but I haven't gotten a "round tuit")...

This one doesn't handle imap.  Imap as far as I can see will
already do virtual domains.

In other words, it seems to work (I have it going on 4 or 5 domains
on 3 machines) but no guarantees.

I could try to generate diffs (most changes are in 2 or 3 new
files plus a delivery agent and password routine, but there were some
fairly extensive changes to the original password routine and
pop_dropcopy.)

-- Pete