Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 02:13:40 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin)
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@earth.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux h

John Baldwin writes:
> On 28-Oct-00 Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> > In message <200010271824.e9RIOLw06173@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon
> > writes:
> >> :Do you have dangerously dedicated mode on by chance?  Some
> >> :SCSI BIOS's _will_ crash with this if you use dangerously
> >> :dedicated mode.
> >>
> >>     Yup.
> >>
> >>     The real question is:  Ok, so if I can't use dangerously dedicated
> >>     mode, then how do I create a disklabel on a normal partition?
> >>     Everything
> >>     I try using fdisk and disklabel fails.  fdisk will create a normal
> >>     freebsd-dedicated dos partition, but disklabel refuses to label it.
> >
> > After fdisk creating partitions try,
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1 count=16
> >
> > Then disklabel -r -w and disklabel -B
> Nope, I tried that.  Without Dillon's patch, disklabel cannot create
> a virgin disklabel on a slice.  Period.
I know English bad ... let me see ... what "virgin" mean ... See!
disklabel CAN create a virgin disklabel on a slice.  Period.
just supply the real entry from disktab.
For example
disklabel -r -w ad0sX fd360
disklabel -e ad0sX
works in any case. Yes, it is hack, I understand.
And I use about 20 my own entryes in disktab for
all slise sizes I ever use.
This is not stright, but not annoy.
What is real annoyance:
it is impossible to read label twice if more then one label
are present on a disk in DD mode.

It is very bad because of bug in kernel, not userland.

@BABOLO      http://links.ru/