Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:22:41 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Looking for detailed documentation: Install to existing filesystem

> This may not answer the questions you posed, but it may be a=20
> good start
> for you.

Hi Avleen, thanks for the reply!

Before I do anything else, I'd like to ask why the option of installing
to an existing filesystem exists, if there is no documentation on
*exactly* how to set it up and do it.  Shall we write a howto?

I've been told that FBSD users just don't do that kind of install, but
if that's true, why is the option there?

No offense, but I'm very surprised that of all the people that read the
questions and hackers lists, all over the planet, no one has replied and
said, "Oh, I know how to do that, here's what you do..."  Don't you
think that's unusual?

> You have two options i can think of, if you want to mimic a=20
> traditional
> /stand/sysinstall installation process.
> 1) install an FTP server, and choose an FTP install.
> 2) export the hard drive over NFS, and use that.
>=20
> Or, a better way which I would recommend:
> download the source code, and put if on the second drive. We'll assume
> /usr/src and /usr/obj are mounted on the *second* hard drive.

Your 'better way' assumes FBSD is installed, working, and the computer
is bootable.  Correct?

If, for some reason, the computer is not bootable, I'd have to boot from
the CD or floppies, escape from the install, drop to single user mode,
mount the appropriate partitions/slices, and continue from there.
Correct?

As I write this, I see that Joshua Oreman [oremanj@get-linux.org] has
replied.  Great! I see his corrected series of commands.

I still need to know which files and directories I need to download or
copy to the second HDD.  I have all 3 CD's, if I can use them.