Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:12:45 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v 2.10 (mouse not	beingdetected)

--On Monday, October 17, 2005 00:13:31 -0500 Alejandro Valenzuela Roca=20
<lanjoe9@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> Paul: the difference between your setup and mine is the fact that
> there's only one receiver for both the wireless keyboard and the mouse.

Ah!  Big difference.

> The keyboard does get detected, but then I only see this Human Interface
> Device which basically seems to do nothing (what can an HID do, btw?).

HID is an acronym for "Human Interface Device" and refers to anything that=20
humans interact with - keyboards, mice, microphones, joysticks, graphics=20
tablets, etc.

> Here's the usbdevs output:
>
> addr 1: OHCI root hub, NEC
>  addr 4: PSC 750, Hewlett-Packard
>  addr 3: USB Optical Mouse, A4Tech
>  addr 2: Synaptics WheelPad, Synaptics Inc.
> addr 1: OHCI root hub, NEC
>  addr 2: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop=AE 2.10, Microsft
> addr 1: EHCI root hub, NEC

Since the MS Wireless Optical Desktop is being detected correctly, I would=20
assume that FreeBSD has the appropriate drivers for it.  If you have access =

to a Windows box, I'd connect it to that and see if the mouse is detected.=20
If not, it's obviously defective.  If it is, then at least you know=20
communication between the mouse and the keyboard receiver is working.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member