Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 18:32:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        djb@ifa.au.dk
Cc:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe), kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz), smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

[ ... sysctl ... ]

> This looks like an excellent proposal. Does anyone have comments, or could
> someone with experience" in this area provide a patch?

As an experiment to convince people, this is OK.  As a permanent
change, it's wrong.

Without handling the stalling case, the code is incorrect, and _will_
result in poorer performance on the first idle/resource wait.

As an alternative, I suggest someone run multiple programs that
can get I/O bound, and then swap the vector out from under the
processors, thus enabling the hlt.  This should stall all but
one processor, as handling the interrupt requires the BGL, and
the BGL will be held by a single CPU most of the time as a result
of an I/O bound program.

Basically, this means that everything but one CPU will hlt, and
that it will hlt too, with only one CPU waking up when an interrupt
happens on the I/O completion.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---