Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:14:29 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        uriah.heep.sax.de!joerg_wunsch@dg-rtp.dg.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   slattach (was Re: Another problem with sysinstall with SL/IP.)

Thomas David Rivers writes:
>  Anyway, I'd like to consider the following scenario:
>
> 	1) slattach
> 	2) ifconfig
> 	3) modem goes down
> 	4) restart slattach to reconnect
>
>  does that mean I have to re-ifconfig the sl0 device after slattach
> restabilishes the line?  I don't think so...

>  Thus, there is a state in which no slattach is running, and the
> ifconfig on sl0 is valid.

You must mean invalid, right?  If slattach isn't running, there is not
SLIP connection and a ifconfig'd sl0 line is invalid.

>  What that says to me is that you can, in fact, ifconfig sl0 before
> doing a slattach.  I've been doing it for a few years now with great
> success.

And during that window between the ifconfig'd sl0 and slattach not
running their is a bogosity in the system, however small.

However, I set things up that way simply because slattach doesn't
autoconfigure sl0 for me, and it works better.

So I guess I agree with Dave here.  To get slattach to auto-dial, it's
much easier to configure it ahead of time since it's a pain to have
slattach do it for you.

Nate