Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 10:31:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup ...)

As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:

> > rarely the case for me.)  What if i use my own package to export/
> > import DOS files?  (Yes, i really wrote one as paywork years ago.  It
>
> Your package must handle timezone in this case.

How if i don't know in which timezone the floppy i just wanna read has
been created?  What about mtools?

You can argue how you want: DOS has simply ignored the problem for too
long, and now that the technology has been rolling all over it, it's
too late for a general solution.  That's typical for DOS...

> DOS have TZ environment variable (all C implmentations handle it).

Well, dir(1) (not that there's really a man page section one, but so
you know what i mean :) cannot handle it if i insert a floppy that
came from USA, for example.

TZ is solely handled by C runtime systems, and at least for my very
old TC 2.0 (the only C system i've still got around), the TZ handling
is buggy.  I've just started pcemu and wrote a small test program:
setting TZ affects both, localtime(3) and gmtime(3) similarly.

Last not least, DOS timezone idea is broken.  You can find work-
arounds, and they might be working for you most of the time, but they
remain workarounds for something that has been misdesigned in the
first place.  I won't do anything in my Unix systems to correct their
mistakes.

--
cheers, J"org