Date:      09 Nov 1999 10:29:24 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP security

matt <matt@roadhouse.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> Hello from a newbie.
> I have configured FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE with kernel ppp and succesfully
> connected to my ISP.
> I am using an /etc/ppp/chat-script file which contains my username and
> password.
> In order to dialup as a non-root user I must have my chat-script
> permissions as 440.
> Is this safe?

If the owner of the file is root:wheel, and you carefully check who gets
to become a member of the wheel group, it is relatively safe.

> I am sure that my ISP uses CHAP or PAP, but when I try to dialup with an
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets I cannot connect (I get a
> connect script failed message).

This could be because of a small timeout in ppp.conf, which causes your
ppp program to drop the carrier before pap/chap gets the chance to
authenticate you into your ISP.  Here in Patras, Greece, I am using an
ISP where pap/chap takes ages to authenticate, while chat finishes in
only a few seconds.  You can guess which of the two I'm finally using.

Regards.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]