Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:28:29 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Phenom II 975 BE shows 0 celsius

Hi to all

In my desktop machine, I had an AM2+ ASROCK mobo with Phenom II 955 BE that=
=20
showed each core temperature perfectly under FBSD 8-STABLE, via=20
dev.cpu.x.temp. amdtemp.ko loaded.

Unfortunately this Mobo died and only found AM3 boards for which my phenom =
955=20
doesn't fit. So I got an ASUS M4A88T-V EVO with a Phenom II 975 BE.=20

=46unny thing. An AM3 phenom II fits on an AM2 board but an AM3 board doesn=
't=20
accept an AM2/AM2+ phenom II :(.

Anyway, now, under the very same system, it shows 0 degrees on dev.cpu.x.te=
mp=20
for all cores.

I've been looking through k8temp and amdtemp src code. I am definitely not=
=20
sure of this but I believe something might have happened to those:

=46rom k8temp.h

K10_THERM_REG      0xa4=20
K10_THERMTRIP_REG  0xe4
K10_CURTMP(val)    (((val) >> 21) & 0xfff)
K10_THERMTRIP(val) ((val >> 1) & 1)

=46rom amdtemp.c

/*
 * Register control (K8 family)
 */
#define	AMDTEMP_REG0F		0xe4
#define	AMDTEMP_REG_SELSENSOR	0x40
#define	AMDTEMP_REG_SELCORE	0x04

/*
 * Register control (K10 & K11) family
 */
#define	AMDTEMP_REG		0xa4

Output of k8temp -dn:

CPUID: Vendor: AuthenticAMD, 0x100f43: Model=3D04 Family=3Df+1 Stepping=3D3
Advanced Power Management=3D0x1f9
   Temperature sensor: Yes
 Frequency ID control: No
   Voltage ID control: No
    THERMTRIP support: Yes
   HW Thermal control: Yes
   SW Thermal control: Yes
   100MHz multipliers: Yes
   HW P-State control: Yes
        TSC Invariant: Yes
Temp=3Dc0fef
ThermTrip=3D1fc00c30
0

I keep a small win7 partition to test little things like this and see if th=
e=20
same thing happens there, and it doesn't, so I concluded that the sensors a=
re=20
there and are working.

One thing is worth noting though. I have used a free gadget that shows=20
activity/temp for each core. It worked fine with the previous MB/CPU.That A=
LSO=20
stopped working with this new MB. Like FBSD, it shows 0 degrees for any cor=
e=20
too, although it correctly displays each core load.

The only windows tool that correctly shows the temperature are the ASUS too=
ls=20
that came with the mobo.

Other than that, everything is working fine! The only thing I had to fix wa=
s=20
the fstab ada location.

I know this is not a big thing but I got accustomed to keeping an eye on th=
ose=20
temperatures.

I have googled for a few days now searching for Thermal register address or=
=20
offsets for the Phenom II 975 BE, or anything related to this problem and=20
found nothing. Every search on AMD site was fruitless. I could not find a=20
single bit of tech info on this processor there, or any other tech info for=
=20
that matter.

Would any one have any pointers/clues/suggestions on this?

Thanks,
=2D-=20
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br
=46reeBSD since 2.2.8 [not Pro-Audio.... YET!!] (99% winblows FREE)