Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated driver (bt848-970424)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Randall Hopper wrote:

>  |The colors come out properly if -nobswap4Bpp or -nowswap4Bpp are set on
>  |the command line.
>
>  | Rating  Class        bpp  Bpp  R,G,B Masks                   Swap  DirectVid
>  |   4     TrueColor     24   4   000000ff, 0000ff00, 00ff0000   --      No
>
> That makes sense, given your frame buffer's pixel order.  For 0.41, I just
> defaulted swapping on and gave everyone the capability to tune the swaps to
> see what everyone needs swap-wise, and through that, to verify that the
> swaps could be directly inferred from the reported RGB visual masks.  So
> far, it sounds like this is the case.

I can live with the switch, just not Ximages.  This is in 24 bit mode, a
mode I don't use because I can only cram 800x600 in 2mb of vram.  I need
my desktop real estate!  :)

> Before I put the smart swapping in, let me verify with you though that when
> you turn byte and word swapping off for your 4Bpp 24bpp video mode, you "are"
> getting direct video, right?  That is, it's not giving you:
>
>  |Active visual does not support direct video
>  |  ...backing off and using XImages
>
> If so, we're in good shape.  Please let me know.

No, sorry Houston...  I get ximages mode in 24 bit regardless of the
switch settings. The switches primarily control if the color is correct or
not.

This is now with the code committed today 4/30.