Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:04:48 +0200
From:      Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 RELASE & CAM boot.flp: Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file!

Hi.

I'm trying to install 2.2.6 with CAM on my box  which is
266MHz Pentium II Microstar ATX
AHA 2940U2W with ST-39173LW and ST-32272W disks
Nakamichi 16x/5 CD changer

Since the time I subscribed to the freebsd-scsi list I haven't seen
anybody reporting successfull use of the U2W drive & discs (I hoped I
would be the first :-))

Now I'm getting the "Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file! Manual
intervention will be required." error message from the installation
utility.

Here is the whole story.

Concerning installation of the 2.2.6-RELEASE I found the response from
John Polstra

<KHamilton@Hunter.COM> wrote:

> Ok, so I didn't read the mailing lists before I sent my question about
> the AIC-7890.  Now can anyone tell me where I can get a 2.2.6 boot
> floppy image that has the CAM support in it so I can install the O/S....
> :-)

http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/cam-boot/
- --

I downloaded the boot.flp and kernel.flp. First I realized the boot.flp
contains 3.0 kernel. I'm not sure if it's OK if I want to install the
2.2.6 but I tried to follow instructions I found on that URL.
First problem I encoutered was that the installation utility reported it
couldn't see the CDROM so I tried NFS installation.but the network card
(3COM Fast Etherlink XL PCI 10/100) was not found either.
So I replaced the CD changer with single CD-ROM drive which was found
OK.

After partitioning discs in this way:

da0s1a	/		60MB
da0s1b	swap		130MB
da0s1e	/var		100MB
da0s1f	/usr		1867MB
da1s1e	/smbshare	8683MB

I got error message:

"Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file! Manual intervention will be
required."

When I looked at the VTY shell I saw:

cpio: /mnt/stand/sh linked to /mnt/stand/-sh
/mnt/stand/-sh

find: etc: no such file or directory
0 blocks

DEBUG: Scaning disk da0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scaning disk da1 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scaning disk da0 for swap filesystem
DEBUG: Scaning disk da0 for swap filesystem

What's going wrong? How the "Manual intervention" should look like.
Any idea ?

Thanks

Mira

|                     Miroslav Kes                        |
| Rockwell Automation Ltd.   | tel.:   (+420) 2 2425 6913 |
| Research Center Prague     | fax:    (+420) 2 250467    |
| Americka 22                | e-mail: mira@rockwell.cz   |
| 120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady |                            |
| Czech Republic             |                            |