Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 02:40:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Kaan XRS <kaanors@superonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: server

Kaan XRS wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I have a server that works perfect in Linux Redhat 6.2 but when I
> install FreeBSD 3.4 to it it starts to reboot every 2 days by itself. Is
> this a bug in FreeBSD ?
>=20
> Kaan =D6RS
> StarshellNet

It might be a bug.  It might also be a hardware problem.  Flaky memory is
common.  SMP support in 3.4 was a bit buggy.  Running CPUs without proper
cooling is also a good way to generate panics. Then again, so is rubbing
your feet across carpet and making ungrounded contact with one of those
ICs you never really liked anyway..  So, to do any more than armwaving
speculation like this, we need to know more about the system :-)

What hardware is used?
  Is it all probed correctly when the kernel loads?
What type and magnitude of load is the machine under?  (Heavy IO, CPU, net
  traffic?  Many concurrent users?  Etc..)=20
Which services are running?
How is your kernel configured?
Any error messages reported to the console, or to /var/log/messages
  either right before the reboot, or perhaps during the operation of the
  system?
What panic message did you get?
Have you considered upgrading to the latest -STABLE (now 4.0)?

Also of interest will be the handbook section on kernel panics.

--=20
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2