Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:00:49 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        willvito@niia.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD questions....

>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Vitaniemi <willvito@niia.net> writes:

    Bill> myname.my.domain: bad value

Search for myname.my.domain in the file /etc/sysconfig and replace it
with the correct value.

    Bill> Even so, I still need to understand why the error. The is
    Bill> also another error that says something about the router
    Bill> value being bad just before the above lines.

Are you seeing ``Writing to routing socket: file exists''?

    Bill> After BSD configured, then it's off to configuring x-windows.

Have fun ... and good luck!  :-)

    Bill> Another problem I have (on my online machine) is that it
    Bill> appears that the hard drive is going to sleep after
    Bill> awhile. If the machine has been sitting awhile and I then go
    Bill> to do something on it, I hear the hard drive wind up.  Have
    Bill> been getting "seek errors" at the same time. I'm assuming
    Bill> they are related.

Do you have one of those so-called ``green'' PCs?  If you've got a
CMOS config screen which lets you turn of the green features, turn
'em off!

    Bill> Just yesterday, when I exited x-windows, my monitor just
    Bill> went blank. If I blindly typed in startx, x-windows would
    Bill> start up. But same blank screen everytime I exited
    Bill> x-windows.

That happened to me a few times, too.  It's damn annoying and I'm not
sure what causes it yet.  The only advice I have: just be careful and
try not to switch virtual consoles while X is either starting up or
shutting down.

Hang in there.

--
Sean Kelly