Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 2003 15:48:41 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        Dan Malaby <dan@peritek.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with gramofile

Dan Malaby wrote:
> Happy new year FSBD users!!
>
> I am trying to use gramofile to get some records made into CD's,

Me, too.

> but I
> can not get gramofile to see any input. I can use the mixer and get the
> line in signal out of my PC speakers, so I know that I have signal to my
> sound card, but gramofile only makes a file with no music.

I found that the mic input works fine but line in doesn't. I'm
using a SoundBlasterLive, and I'm starting to wonder if my card is
bad. It did occur to me that it may be gramofile . . . .
> If there is
> anyone who is using gramofile, please tell me how you configured
> gramofile or what magic needs to be done to the kernel to make it work.
> Also I have had problems with gramofile hanging up, it does not respond
> to any mouse or keyboard input, and I need to do a kill -9 to get out.

I have found that gramofile doesn't clean up after itself very
well: run ipcs and see if there are some semaphores that are
blocking things up.

I did add the semaphore stuff from LINT in vain hopes of making it
behave better . . . . but I still end up falling back on ipcs and
ipcrm.

# System V semaphores and tunable parameters
options         SYSVSEM         # include support for semaphores
options         SEMMAP=31       # amount of entries in semaphore map
options         SEMMNI=11       # number of semaphore identifiers
in the system
options         SEMMNS=61       # number of semaphores in the system
options         SEMMNU=31       # number of undo structures in the
system
options         SEMMSL=33       # max number of semaphores per id
options         SEMOPM=101      # max number of operations per
semop call
options         SEMUME=11       # max number of undo entries per
process

--
Paul Beard: seeking UNIX/internet engineering work
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/paulbeard.html>;

Talkers are no good doers.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"