Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 18:15:30 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <john@gateway.net.hk>
To:        FreeBSD hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP Group <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   newsserver configuration

A client is about to set up a news server for an ISP and proposes the
following:

1. Intel triton P5 mother board w/256k cache built in  IDE & I/O port
2. Intel P5 100Mhz CPU
3. 2 x 16MB 72 pin RAM 70ns
4. Panasonic 1,44MB floppy
5. Panasonic 4.4x IDE Bus CD-Rom
6. PCI Promotion 6410 SVGA card w/ 1MB RAM
7. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI-2 controller
7a. 2 x Seagate ST15230N 4GB Fast SCCI-2 HD
8. NE2000 compatible LAN card ??
9. HP 4000-I  external SCCI DAT 4mm tape or
10.  Wangdat 3200 internal DAT 4mm

We want to run FreeBSD 2.1.0 and just do news on the LAN.

Is the Intel mother board compatible and reliable?
are there drivers for all the hardware?
Is it worth getting a better ethernet card?
Any suggestions or comments?

jbeukema