Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 05:40:47 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        pst@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gdb remote

Ok I think I have it all set up..
but I get

# /usr/local/bin/gdb compile/IAF/kernel
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd2.2),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols
found)...
(gdb)
 show
remotedebug:  Debugging of remote protocol is 0.
remotebaud:  Baud rate for remote serial I/O is 9600.
confirm:  Whether to confirm potentially dangerous operations is on.
history filename:  The filename in which to record the command history
is
    "/usr/home/julian/build/FreeBSD-2.2A/usr/src/sys/.gdb_history".
history size:  The size of the command history is 256.
history save:  Saving of the history record on exit is off.
history expansion:  History expansion on command input is off.
editing:  Editing of command lines as they are typed is on.
verbose:  Verbosity is off.
prompt:  Gdb's prompt is "(gdb) ".
remotelogfile:  Filename for remote session recording is "".
complaints:  Max number of complaints about incorrect symbols is 0.
gnutarget:  The current BFD target is "auto".
demangle-style:  The current C++ demangling style is "auto".
watchdog:  Watchdog timer is 0.
write:  Writing into executable and core files is off.
check range:  Range checking is "auto; currently off".
check type:  Type checking is "auto; currently off".
language:  The current source language is "auto; currently c".
remotedevice:  Device for remote serial I/O is "/dev/cuaa1".
remotecache:  Cache use for remote targets is off.
remotechat:  Remote port interacts with target is 0.
remotebreak:  Whether to send break if interrupted is 0.
remotetimeout:  Timeout value for remote read is 2.
auto-solib-add:  Autoloading of shared library symbols is 1.
stop-on-solib-events:  Stopping for shared library events is 0.
args:  Arguments to give program being debugged when it is started is
"".
symbol-reloading:  Dynamic symbol table reloading multiple times in one
run is
    off.
output-radix:  Default output radix for printing of values is 10.
input-radix:  Default input radix for entering numbers is 10.
print object:  Printing of object's derived type based on vtable info is
off.
print vtbl:  Printing of C++ virtual function tables is off.
print static-members:  Printing of C++ static members is on.
print symbol-filename:  Printing of source filename and line number with
<symbol> is off.
print max-symbolic-offset:  The largest offset that will be printed in
<symbol+1234> form is unlimited.
print address:  Printing of addresses is on.
print array:  Prettyprinting of arrays is off.
print union:  Printing of unions interior to structures is on.
print pretty:  Prettyprinting of structures is off.
print repeats:  Threshold for repeated print elements is 10.
print null-stop:  Printing of char arrays to stop at first null char is
off.
print elements:  Limit on string chars or array elements to print is
200.
print asm-demangle:  Demangling of C++ names in disassembly listings is
off.
print sevenbit-strings:  Printing of 8-bit characters in strings as \nnn
is
    off.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
print demangle:  Demangling of encoded C++ names when displaying symbols
is on.
listsize:  Number of source lines gdb will list by default is 10.
height:  Number of lines gdb thinks are in a page is 50.
width:  Number of characters gdb thinks are in a line is 80.
targetdebug:  Target debugging is 1.

I have the other machine set up with comconsole,
and in fact I have booted with -g and
am sitting in what I assume is the debugger....

If I hit CR I get a string that looks like:
$T0508:7ddf1af0;05:70ef1df0;04:68ef1df0;#97
I'm guessing the gdb stub is responding to me somehow with this..

I can't however find any info on how to START debugging
with gdb...
how can I get gdb to start talking to the stub?
Of course it's not helped by teh fact that as a port all teh docs are
shadowed by the ones form the original gdb :) very cfusing if you
forget to prefix everything with /usr/local...

If you can point ou twhich parts of the docs are the most useful for
this I'd be grateful
as I'm drowning is irrellevant information..

julian

p.s.
in an attempt to get some response I typed....

(gdb) run
Starting program:
/usr/home/julian/build/FreeBSD-2.2A/usr/src/sys/compile/IAF/kernel
target_wait (-1, status) = 10403,   status->kind = stopped, signal =
SIGTRAP
target_fetch_registers (eip) = 0x1020 4128
target_terminal_init ()
target_terminal_inferior ()
target_terminal_inferior ()
target_resume (-1, continue, 0)
/usr/home/julian/build/FreeBSD-2.2A/usr/src/sys/compile/IAF/kernel: Exec
format error. Wrong Architecture.

Eh? whadyamean "Wrong architecture?"

target_wait (-1, status) = 10403,   status->kind = exited, status = 1
target_terminal_ours ()

Program exited with code 01.
target_mourn_inferior ()
You can't do that without a process to debug
(gdb)