Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:04:22 +0000
From:      Xian <ian@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just installed FreeBSD

On Monday 07 March 2005 16:01, Ean Kingston wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to but into the middle of this conversation but people appear to be
> giving you a lot of advice that will take quite a while to understand and
> implement. Some of that advice is good but it doesn't really get you where
> you want to be. If you haven't done so yet, try this:
>
> Login as root
>
> run 'pkg_add -r kde' from the command line
>
> edit /etc/ttys (with ee or whatever editor you like.
>
> Look for the line that looks like this:
>
> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
>
> and change the word 'off' to 'on'. Then save the file.
>
> Now, reboot your system.
>

> You should find that you now have a graphical user interface and when you
> log in, you are running kde.
>
> If you don't find kde running when you log in. Do this:
>
> Log in as the user you want to be able to run KDE and edit the file
> '.xsession'. Put 'exec /usr/local/bin/startkde' at the top of that that
> file and save it. Then, log out and log back in again.
>
> That got the job done. Now the fun part is figuring out what else you can
> do . That is where a lot of the other advice is going to come in handy.

I would second that advice. KDE works very well for me and looks more like
Winbugs than a console so it will be easier to get your head round it.
It works much much better than Winbugs too ;-)

The pkg_add command will take a while so be patient with it.

--
/Xian

"A tree only hits a car in self defence"
Unkonwn author