Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:43:06 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to "why does my mail to FreeBSD.org bounce" FAQ

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:47:23AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:59:43 +0100
> Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:
>

> > As a result of the spamfest on -questions today (which I am, yet
> > again, partly responsible for), it came to my attention that the FAQ
> > is lacking a reason why mail to hub.FreeBSD.org may be rejected.
> >
> > I've tried to knock up a patch for this, but DNS and I are too
> > familiar for me to able to do it properly - I don't think people
> > will understand the answer, and I need someone to knock it into
> > shape.
> >
> Its a wonderful attempt!  Let me add one thing, just say what you want
> to say in a very understandable mannor:

Thanks

> ``Mail sent from your personal computer or networked computer will not
> be processed unless you have a legal (registered) domain name.  Just
> making up one for your internal network does not qualify as a legal
> (registered) domain name.  For email to be accepted at hub.FreeBSD.org
> you will be required to use the email address from your ISP or another
> email address from a qualified domain.  In plain english, if you
> cannot accept mail to your computer with (whoever@example.com) then
> your email may most likly bounce as a result.''

I knew it wasn't clear!  The problem isn't to do with the email address -
it's purely the hostname given in the HELO line :

{setantae@rhadamanth}-{~} $ telnet hub.freebsd.org smtp
Trying 216.136.204.18...
Connected to hub.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 hub.freebsd.org ESMTP Postfix (Postfix Rules!)
helo i.dont.resolve
250 hub.freebsd.org
mail from: <setantae@submonkey.net>
250 Ok
rcpt to: <test@FreeBSD.org>
450 <i.dont.resolve>: Helo command rejected: Host not found
quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

Ceri