From:      "=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Pawe=B3_Ma=B3achowski?=" <pawmal@unia.3lo.lublin.pl>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/42260: 4.6-STABLE kernel panic, fxp related

On 28 Oct 02, at 16:24, Ian Dowse wrote:

> If possible, could you try the following patch against the latest
> revision of if_fxp.c. This should limit the abuse of the reserved
> status bit to the DEVICE_POLLING case. I haven't tested this patch
> beyond compiling it, so be prepared for problems. I'll push to get
> this committed if it solves the problem for you, as I hate to see
> this kind of hack remaining in the driver for one of FreeBSD's most
> recommended NICs.

Right now I'm running 4.7-RELEASE.
I've compiled GENERIC kernel with debug option.
It is no longer possible to reproduce the problem as described
in kern/42260 (kernel panic with core dump), right now nmachine
simply reboots, usually after 1-2 minutes. I think it's still
the same bug.

After applying provided patch and recompiling the same GENERIC kernel,
machine looks more stable, it is working without autoreboot:
# uptime ; netstat -in | grep Link#2
15:28  up 15:08, 1 user, load averages: 0,20 0,14 0,11
fxp0  1500  <Link#2>    00:08:c7:ea:90:ae 16677664     0 27185842     0     0

I know other people having the same problem (autoreboot 4.7-RELEASE
when using fxp NICs), I'm going to send them this patch, I think
they can check if it fixes their problems, too.

PM