Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 20:55:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
To:        David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world kills passwords?

Most likely your links were changed from MD5 to DES in the crypt, what you
want to do is NODESCRYPTLINKS=true in /etc/make.conf so it does not blow
those links at make world time. To fix this manually, do:

cd /usr/lib
rm libcrypt.a libcrypt.so libcrypt.so.2
ln -s libscrypt.so.2 libcrypt.so.2
ln -s libscrypt.so libcrypt.so
ln -s libscrypt.a libcrypt.a

[ That will change your passwords back to MD5 ]

Of course, if you were using DES before... do:

cd /usr/lib
rm libcrypt.a libcrypt.so libcrypt.so.2
ln -s libdescrypt.so.2 libcrypt.so.2
ln -s libdescrypt.so libcrypt.so
ln -s libdescrypt.a libcrypt.a

Disclaimer: I'm assuming that your symlinks were blown in the make world,
but you should confirm this by checking them before executing the above
commands. In other words, be careful.

Matt