Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 11:35:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@albatross.mcc.ac.uk>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com, terry@program-products.co.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console terminal server and power loss

>  I think the difference must be on the Sun side

Sorry for dropping in so late, but I had to get this back from the guy who
makes up my cables.

As an ex-Sun admin I've a (slowly decreasing) pile of Sun boxes which are
attached to a mixture of dumb terminals and both Sun and FreeBSD console
servers. I got this trick somewhere off the net back in the late 80's. It's
mainly to avoid a Sun dropping into the prom when a terminal dies or is
unplugged, but seems to work just as well for hanging a Sun on a console
server.

  Sun Box                                                  Console Server

   2  Tx  -------------------------  ------------------------- 2 Tx
                                   \/
                                   /\
   3  Rx  ------+------------------  ------------------------- 3 Rx

                Z    4.7K resistor

  25  -5v ------+                                             25 -5v

   4  RTS --+                                                  4 RTS

   5  CTS --+                                                  5 CTS

   6  DSR --+                                                  6 DSR

  20  DTR --+                                                 20 DTR

YMMV & FWIW,

Ian.
--
 Network Unit, SNOT Team, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, UK.
     mail: ip@mcc.ac.uk | phone: +44-161-275-6006 | fax: +44-161-275-6040