Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:37:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

In message <20000716135232.Q57098@wantadilla.lemis.com> Greg Lehey writes:
: Here's what I think would make sense:
:
: 1.  Allow "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" in /usr/src with
:     no options.  The results should be identical with the "make all"
:     and "make install" in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL, where
:     MYKERNEL is the name of the currently running kernel.  The rule in
:     /usr/src can get the name from uname(1).

No.  We can't do this.  There are times when new tools are needed to
build the kernel.  buildkernel takes care of this by using the ones
just created by buildworld.  Doing this is very hard in the normal
tree.  Haven't we been through this enough?

: 2.  Call the resultant kernel "kernel", not "MYKERNEL".  This is what
:     we're used to, and peter recently went to some trouble to remove
:     arbitrary kernel names.

this is ok.

: 3.  Put the build directory in the /usr/obj hierarchy, not the
:     /usr/src/sys/compile hierarchy.  That would (help) enable
:     read-only /usr/src.

This would be nice.

Warner