Date:      Sat, 24 May 2008 10:08:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Ganael LAPLANCHE" <ganael.laplanche@martymac.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   USE_LINUX_RPM and PORTDOCS

Hi everybody,

One of my ports, archivers/linux-par2cmdline, uses a RPM that contains
documentation, but does not (yet) handle the NOPORTDOCS option. An error is
generated in Tinderbox and complains that documentation files remain on the
filesystem after deinstallation. See :

http://t64.tecnik93.com/logs/7-STABLE-FTP/linux-par2cmdline-0.4.log

as reported by Itetcu.

My port uses both the USE_LINUX_RPM facility and PORTDOCS variable.

What happens is that passing NOPORTDOCS=yes to the port is ignored by
bsd.linux-rpm.mk's do-install target which installs documentation anyway (as any
other file). As I have also declared documentation files with the PORTDOCS
variable, they are *not* deinstalled when using NOPORTDOCS=yes.

So, I am a bit stuck since bsd.linux-rpm.mk does not seem to provide a way to
handle that case...

I see two options :

- Override the do-install target and do things manually, which seems a bad idea
since several actions are involved in installing linux files (brandelf, cpio, ...)
- Do not use PORTDOCS option anymore and treat doc files as any other file, but
this implies installing documentation files even if it has not been requested by
the user. I could even use AUTOMATIC_PLIST for that...

What would be the best option ? Would you have any other idea ?

Ganaël LAPLANCHE
ganael.laplanche@martymac.com
http://www.martymac.com