Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:16:16 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.nl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: status of bridge code

>personally I use the netgraph bridging code and I think (though I'm biased)
>that you should look at using htat rather than the hardwired bridging
>code that it was derived from.

Now that I've read up on it I can tell you you and and Archie have every
right to be biased =)

I've had a netgraph bridge in place for a while now and it works very well.
(On 4.X-STABLE, on 5.X-CURRENT it went kablooie. See panic trace)

> > item on my list. Being an allround good networking OS this is unacceptable
> > IMHO.
>
>Have a look at what you can do with netgraph first.
>
>Most people don't know what it is but it allows almost arbitrarily
>complicated network topologies to be set up from the command line.

What you might want to tell people is that it allows networking structures
to be setup in a simple manner, but is so powerful it can also be used for
immensely complex structures. A friend and fellow BSD user of mine's first
response was "I like to keep things simple". After I rephrased into the
above he was much more interested.

But from my list of wishes I'd say the first 3 are gone. All that's left is
spanning tree. I'm probably going to need this pretty soon, so once more
I'm asking if anyone is working on it. If not I'll start on it.

Also, a quick question for you netgraph guys. Why is it that ng_one2many
send a packet only out of one hook? I can see use for an algorithm that
sends packets from the 'one' hook to all the 'many' hooks (that are up) and
keep the normal behaviour for many to one.

         DocWilco