Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:40:32 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeNAS vs OpenSolaris vs Nexenta ZFS Benchmarks

--nextPart1463941.dqUD0DWsBv

On Sunday 12 September 2010 15:35:47 Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > I am sending this link to those interested in poor performance results =
of
> > FreeNAS (FreeBSD) and ZFS.
> >=20
> > http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/09/10/freenas-vs-opensolaris-zfs-benchmark=
s/
>=20
> Ouch :-).
>=20
> In general, not my area, so I'll leave it to the ZFS folks, but I will
> comment that there's an InfiniBand project in flight -- Jeff Roberson's
> work on this can be found in Subversion.  I'm not sure what his schedule
> is, and presumably, there will be ZFS integration work to do even once the
> base InfiniBand stack is done.
>=20
> Robert

I'll respond and say that the current FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 7, where =
ZFS=20
was an experimental filesystem.  I think a system based on FreeBSD 8 will=20
provide a better comparison.

I'm a tad confused about the whole "sharing a ZFS filesystem over iSCSI".  =
I=20
thought iSCSI was used to eport LUNs that you then put a filesystem on with=
 a=20
client.

iSCSI on FreeBSD is fairly slow compared to other solutions, I think there =
is=20
some very preliminary work to fix that going on.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel