Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:24:31 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        CorrieS@mktv.co.za, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP and POP3

Hi CorrieS@mktv.co.za!

On 25 Mar 02 at 14:39 you wrote:

> When logged onto the BSD box ,using telnet, I can use sendmail to send a
> message to a user that I have created and receive it over the network where
> I am working in windows xp.  I have already set up POP3 which I have
> downloaded from the internet.  But I cannot send e-mail from my windows xp
> computer to say a different user on the BSD box.  It also my be possible
> that sendmail is not set up correctly.  It is starting up without popping
> up some kind of error, like named or dhcpd will do.
>
> My question to you guru's... I know that I can always use qmail but
> if I want to use sendmail, can the pop3 daemon receive e-mail as well
> as send?

POP3 daemon allows only downloading of mail, it does not receive any
mail from your windows box. This is the task for SMTP daemon. In your
case, sendmail.

> If so and if it is my sendmail that is giving me problems, what is
> the key elements to look for when configuring sendmail?

Do you have the following line in /etc/rc.conf:
sendmail_enable="YES"

This should let the system know that sendmail daemon needs to be
started at boot.

From your Windows box, you could try telnetting to port 25 of the
FreeBSD box and see if sendmail accepts the connection. If it doesn't,
then sendmail daemon is not running.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Would a fly without wings be called a walk?