Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:49:18 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for ulpt. {was Re: usb printer problem (clarified)}

On Friday 15 November 2002 7:19 pm, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:10:21PM +0000, ian j hart wrote:
> > > The important thing is does the printer work? :)  You've not said.
> > > If it doesn't, did it before the patch?
> >
> > No it doesn't work, but that's nothing to do with this code.
> >
> > There are two problems. First the printer advertises 7/1/3 so it need=
> > the IEEE1284 support. This was why I replied. The printer is now foun=
d as
> > ulpt rather than ugen.
> >
> > There is a second problem. As I understand it, the printer needs
> > to be sent a channel-change-request before it will use the usb input.
> > The HP OfficeJet project on sourceforge has a working Linux version, =
so
> > it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>
> Maybe you could isolate the bit of code in the linux driver that does
> the trick and we could then put something like it into ulpt.  Is this
> specific to HP printers do you know?
>
> Joe

I don't normally do "kernel" stuff, and I certainly don't do Linux, but I=
'll
have a look.

You should take a look at the HPOJ site.

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/

Here are a couple of source references.

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/doc/ioctl_requests.html
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/download/linux-usb-printer/

--=20
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
=09Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)