Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 03:12:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hqy2446 <hqy2446@is2.nyu.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie question: ssh

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:59:04 -0400
> From: Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
> To: hqy2446@nyu.edu
> Subject: Re: newbie question: ssh
>
> On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 03:07:49AM -0400, hqy2446 wrote:
> > I have a newbie question regarding X connection forward by ssh.
> >
> > After I installed ssh-1.2.27 and ssh-2.0.13, I was unable to use 'X
> > connection forwarding' at certain servers.  Now I tried this command:
> >
> > $ ssh -l [username] [remote host] xterm -display [my ip address]:0.0
> >
> > xterm of the remote host was opened and I could run X clients on the host.
> >
> > I want to make sure that this connection is secured or not by experts or
> > experienced users of ssh.
>
> Not secured.
>
> > And one more question: What is the difference between above way of
> > connection and just a connection to a remote host by ssh(just like a
> > telnet)  and run X clinets at the remote host shell?
>
> ssh will normally set up an emulated display at localhost:10.0 (or
> 11.0, 12.0, etc - depends on how many other ssh users you have.)  This
> is securely forwarded, and is what you'll normally use.  Your setup
> makes the program use an insecure connection over the normal net
> instead.
>
> Eivind.

Thanks for your reply.  Now I have a question.  How can I make a secure
connection to a remote host using by ssh?  My FreeBSD box is stand-alone,
I am the only user.  I re-complie ssh-1.2.27 and ssh-2.0.13 with X
connection forward option (it was default option, though).  I still can't
make X connection forward to a certain remote host, not all of them.

What I did is

$ xhost +[remote host]

and then

$ ssh -l [my user name] [remote host]

or,

$ DISPLAY=[my ip address]:0.0; export DISPLAY
$ ssh -l [my user name] [remote host]

Both of above, usually shell connection is fine, but X connection.  When I
tried to open a X client, I got this error message:

'Error: Can't open display: :0'

The following is 'ssh -v' message:

$ ssh -v -l [user name] [remote host]
debug: hostname is 'foo.bar'.
debug: Unable to open /home/foo/.ssh2/ssh2_config
debug: connecting to foo.bar...
debug: entering event loop
debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating transport protocol
debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating userauth protocol
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:592/ssh_tr_input_version: Remote version:
SSH-1.99-2.0.12 (non-commercial)
debug: Remote version: SSH-1.99-2.0.12 (non-commercial)
debug: Host key found from the database.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:155/ssh_common_special: special packet
received from connection protocol: 3
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:155/ssh_common_special: special packet
received from connection protocol: 4
debug: Unable to open /home/foo/.ssh2/identification
password:
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:155/ssh_common_special: special packet
received from connection protocol: 6
debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:304/client_authenticated: client_authenticated
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:466/ssh_common_new_channel: num_channels now
1
Last login: Wed Jun  9 01:45:13 1999
%

Any help would be greatly appreciately.  Thanks again.

-Paul