Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:25:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any reason not to remove /usr/obj/* ? (fwd)

Oh so recently I blathered:
 % In short: if you've got the disk space and are going to be rebuilding
 % the world, leave 'em.  If you need the disk space, grab it.  If you're
 % undecided, buy a Jaz drive and a cartrige for /usr/obj.  ;^)

Greg Lehey elaborated thusly:
 > That depends on how you make your world.  Normally, the first thing
 > that 'make world' does is to remove all the objects and start afresh.
 > Check /usr/src/Makefile:

Thanks for pointing this out; I realized I have several make environment
variables I set in my root account that gives me the behavior I
espoused.  Yes, indeed, the standard 'make world' target starts off with
a 'make clean'.  In this case, and empty /usr/obj will probably speed up
the make process somewhat.

My environment variables automagically run make with -DNOCLEAN, which
speeds up the make world somewhat, but can lead to catastrophic
failures.  The remedy in this situation is to boot into single user,
mount up your normal disks, and run a regular 'make world.'  Not
something you'd want to do on a production machine, but this is my own
workstation, right?