Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:13:42 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 650 UART, SIO driver, 8259 PIC

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:45:08 -0800, John-Mark Gurney
<gurney_j@efn.org> wrote:

>actually, the document only gives examples that have four ports per
>interrupt sharing "group"...  and this is the case for AST/4 boards too..
>but there is a special option that allows you to put two AST/4 boards
>on the same interrupt, and this is then the sharred or common irq

Without some extra wires running between the two boards I don't know
how they can share an IRQ line.  Can you explain how they implement
that , hardware wise?

>yes, but the thing is that when you have two boards on the same interrupt,
>you actually have to poll BOTH status registers of each board to find
>out what interrupts to serve

Makes sense ... but two boards trying to talk on the same IRQ line,
without extra wires, makes no sense to me.

John