Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:38:17 +0100
From:      Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ABI?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 03:16:55PM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> But I know for the fact that Solaris-i386 uses 16 byte alignment. At
> least that's what gcc-4.5.2 thinks when on Solaris.

That's a major difference. The Linux people decided a while ago that
stack alignment should be 16 Byte. GCC effectively forces that down
everyone's throat because until at least GCC 4.2 or 4.3, it can't
correctly realign the stack and just fails miserable. I would be
surprised if it was a conscious decision for the Solaris either.

The main exception here is Mac OSX, since it defined the x86 ABI a lot
latter and doesn't claim to be SYSV compatible.

Joerg