Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:34:54 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB problem - how to disable an umass device?

--------------enigADDE43EF9B6A80AF9C86765A

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Of course, a better way to solve the problem would be to
> find out _why_ it is hanging in the first place.  :-)
> The first step would be to enter the kernel debugger and
> take a stack trace, in order to find out where it is stuck.
>=20
> It might be a good idea to take this issue to the freebsd-
> usb mailing list.

Actually, it resolved to be a very large timeout, on the order of 5
minutes per step, before something gives up and the boot process continue=
s.

>  > I tried using loader hint hint.usb.2.disabled=3D"1" but it doesn't w=
ork.
>=20
> Unfortunately, hints cannot be used to disable devices in
> general (which would be a desirable feature).  That only
> works for legacy devices (i.e. ISA) and some others.

I'd argue that this is actually a bad thing - I'm sure there are
situations where it would be useful to disable (almost) arbitrary nodes
in the device tree, even down to specific pci busses.