Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:47:12 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: msgbuf default size...

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote this message on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 21:33 +0000:
> In message <20060828204908.GI37035@funkthat.com>, John-Mark Gurney writes:
>
> >I believe we should make the default 64k, and let other platforms,
> >like arm, use DEFAULTS to change it to smaller values if necessary...
>
> Better idea:

I'd give you:

> 	if (ram <= 64MB)
> 		msgbuf_size = 8k
> 	else
> 		msgbuf_size = 64k

But anyone who is installing -current on a low memory system these days
are going to be tweaking and building custom kernels already... why
can't they tweak this option along w/ the rest?  (look at Warner's work
to break out the PHY's)

Currently, this is a compile time only option, so changing this based
upon memory will be a bit more complicated than just adding the pseudo
code above...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579