Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 17:19:14 -0400 (AST)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ufs filesystem not available at mount time ...

Hello

A week or so back someone posted a message refering to a problem with
mount at boot time. The same problem is happening to my -current box after
a 'make world' (I didn't have a chance of building a new kernel...):

mount: ufs filesystem is not available

One proposed solution was to boot with the fixit floppy and copy the
mount* files onto a new location on the hard drive, reboot it in single
user mode and use the new mount* binaries to get things back in order.

How exactly do you accomplish that?  When I boot with the floppy I have no
access to the hard drive - I have a minimal filesystem up and the floppy
is mounted at /mnt2.  Should I mount /dev/rsd0a (my "/" ) onto / or onto
/mnt, or some such thing? I tried some combinations, but never got access
to the fixed drive (mount complains it needs a "block device" or something
like that).

Any help would be appreciated.

Antonio
"I myself have always disliked being called a 'genius'.  It is fascinating
 to notice how quick people have been to intuit this aversion and avoid
 using the term"  --  John Lanchester,  in  "The Debt to Pleasure"