Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 04:40:52 +0100
From:      User Datagram Protocol <udp@closed-networks.com>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP port 27910 being tried

Dann,

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 08:10:00PM -0700, Dann Lunsford wrote:
> Over the past couple of days, I've noted many instances of attempted connections
> to UDP port 27910 on my 4-STABLE box.  I haven't been able to find a reference
> to this port on the Usual Places(tm), so this *might* be something new.  Has
> anyone out there seen anything of this?

udp port 27910 is the port for the Quake 2 game server. It's possible that
people have mistaken your box for a Quake 2 server. It's also possible that
they're trying to execute arbitrary commands on your box.

Read http://www.insecure.org/sploits/quake.backdoor.html formore details.

Mark Zielinski of RSI/repsec reported this one. Naturally, if you're running
the server
in a sandbox (e.g. plain chroot w/setuid or even as far as jail) then the
damage would be muchly limited in the event of this compromise occuring.

> ID software blatantly put a backdoor in Quake 1/2 and QuakeWorld including both the Linux/Solaris Quake2. RCON commands sent from the subnet 192.246.40.0/24 and containing the password "tms" are automaticly executed on the server without being logged.

So, filtering 192.246.40.0/24 port 27910 is probably also an option. udp
spoofing is trivial. I can't believe Id did this.

Regards
--
Bruce M. Simpson aka 'udp'       Security Analyst & UNIX Development Engineer
                                            WWW: www.closed-networks.com/~udp