Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:16:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   swapon problems

i'm currently in the process of setting up a machine for running -current here
and run into a problem with swapon

i installed the 2.2 snap from the march cd - rebooted it - started a make
world after ctm -v -v, cvs co src, etc. and began to edit /etc/* to fit my
suits - one of the things i changed there was the swapdevice from wd0s1b to
wd0b (i only have FreeBSD on my machine - so i don't need the slice stuff :-)
and added other disks and swap partitions too - after that i did a "swapon -a"
and got my swap partition again one time as wd0s1b and the second time as wd0b
- with my swapspace doubled (but i was'nt happy because after starting to
think about what would happend if the system will write to that second
swappartition - which is identical with the first ... - half an our later the
system died by a memory fault :-( )

the result is: swapon should check if the requested partition is not
physically there (at the moment it seems to look only after the name) and say
"no" if i want to add the same partition under another name - can someone who
cares for swapon please add such a check there (i will have time for actively
working on FreeBSD myself earliest in september)

p.s.: is there a way to restart a make world so that it will go on there it
stopped ( ... or crashed :-) without doing all from the beginning again ?

--
  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery