Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:36:26 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Iain Templeton <iaint@css.tuu.utas.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP failing in LCP configuration

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading my home machine to FreeBSD 3.2 I found that my PPP dialin
> no longer worked. This was with the same configuration file, and also with
> a configuration file used by somebody else under 3.x.
>
> It seems to be failing when trying to negotiate on LDBACP (which apart
> from being mentioned in src/usr.sbin/ppp/lcp.c as being an LCP option
> doesn't get used). The value of this option changes on each time.
>
> I tried adding a line to lcp.c that adds TY_LDBACP, and just silently
> ignores it - instead of just rejecting because it is unknown, but that
> only produces the second ppp log I have, where I have ConfigAck's, but it
> never actually works.
>
> As far as I know, the routers used at the other end are Cisco Systems
> equipment, but that was all I was able to get out of the ISP; and it is
> not the account itself that is the problem as I can still connect using
> Win98 (as I am now).
>
> When I can find a copy of 2.2.X's PPP I shall also try that...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Iain.
[.....]

Ppp doesn't support BACP (yet).  Your ISP shouldn't really be
insisting on BACP like this... but if you want to tweak the code, you
need to write the option back to the ``dec'' variable so that ppp
ACKs it.  I believe it's illegal to not mention any given option in a
response.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>