Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:59:40 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Migrate FreeBSD 7.0RC1 from i386 to amd64

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 06:44:45PM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:

[...]
> I searched the net for some information on migrating from i386 to
> amd64. I'd like to build a new kernel for amd64, reboot. Do a
> buildworld and installworld and a "portupgrade -afk --batch"
> afterwards.

The approach that I took was to do a new install, build/install world,
portupgraded, and then plugged in my old hard-drive, and transferred
/etc, /var and all other data across. Took about a day, and went
surprisingly well.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
      "The things we know best are the things we haven't been taught."