Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 01:06:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISDN Recommendations Requested...

Hi...

	I'm just about to look into getting an ISDN line into my
system, mainly to reduce some lag between myself and a couple of
local sites I talk to...

	I figure I have two choices, one is an ISDN modem, one is an
ISDN card.

	From what I've seen, as far as ISDN modems are concerned,
there is the Motorola TA220, that supports two RS-232 jacks, which
will give me two ports, one B channel to each site, and the ability
to do a 128k interface to each port.

	What about ISDN cards?  My understanding is that the TA220
runs about $700CDN...I've been aatching talk about the BISDN support
in FreeBSD...how stable is it?  Connection uptime, kernel stability,
etc?

	I presume that since the card is straight on the machine
bus, that throughput would be better?  I've always shied away from
internal modems, mainly because an external one you can turn off and
on if it hangs...an internal one you have to reboot the machne...what
about ISDN cards vs modems?

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org