Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:08:43 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   system hangs when removing files and running sysctl

I'm running 5.0-p1, cvsupped yesterday.   I've just gone back to
5.0-RELEASE from -CURRENT because I found applications had started
crashing quite a lot.  I rebuilt the world, kernel and all my applications.  Because
I could do with the disk space back from the src, doc and ports
directories, I started to delete them - from /usr, a UFS1 partition with
softupdates enabled.  When 'rm -rvf ports' was
about half-way through completing, I decided to take a look at the
file-system statistics.  sysctl -a got to kern.clockrate:
{hz=1000,tick=1000,profhz=1024,stathz=128} and then just hung.  There
was no other screen output and the keyboard stopped working.  Also, all
the disk activity stopped.  I hard reset the machine and fsck ran -
freeing 44621 files and directories!  I managed to repeat this again - by starting to remove the rest of the ports dir before running sysctl -a.  There are no errors in the logs before the system crashes.

Bruce Cran