Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:41:58 +0100
From:      "mal content" <artifact.one@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems creating port, pkg_info?

On 14/07/06, mal content <artifact.one@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ===>   libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a depends on file:
> /usr/local/sbin/pkg_info - not found

WHY is my system looking in /usr/local/sbin? It doesn't do it when
building other ports. The documentation is wrong, I have followed
the instructions in the porter's handbook and my port refuses to
build properly, can't create packages, miscellaneous errors etc.

$ sudo make install
===>   Registering installation for libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_create: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/libdssialsacompat.
$ sudo make deinstall
===>  Deinstalling for audio/libdssialsacompat
pkg_info: package libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a has no origin recorded
===>   libdssialsacompat not installed, skipping

$ sudo make package
===>  Installing for libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if audio/libdssialsacompat already installed
pkg_info: package libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a has no origin recorded
===>   libdssialsacompat-1.0.8a is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of audio/libdssialsacompat
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/libdssialsacompat.

Is the handbook out of date or something? This is about as simple and
bare as a port can be, just a configure script, no patches only eight or
so files installed and yet it doesn't work. The rest of the ports system
works fine, so I'm assuming that something major has been left out
of the documentation.

MC