Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:00:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: floppy driver unusable

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> wrote:

> After Joerg's late-June round of brea^H^H^H^Hcommits to the floppy
> driver, I can no longer use my floppy drive.  Any attempt to access
> the drive (with a known-good writeable floppy in it) simply hangs in
> physst state until I eject the disk, at which point it fails with a
> hard read error with "No status".

Well, it works for me here, but you knew that, of course. :-)

> fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f2-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 1 on isa0
> fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
> fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
> fd0: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-7 (No status)
> fd0: hard error writing fsbn 0 of 0-35 (No status)
> fd0: hard error reading fsbn 0 (No status)

Do you have any further input?  Does fdformat still work?  Does
"fdread -I 1" return you a sector ID?

There weren't any commit so far until yesterday that was supposed to
affect the normal operation of floppies at all (only cosmetics and
additions).  Can you pin it down to which of the changes has broken it
for you?

Can you compile with options FDC_DEBUG, and then turn on debugging on
the drive?  In -current, you can do this with "fdcontrol -d1 /dev/fd0",
in older versions you need DDB for it.  Debugging output is huge and
unreadable, please send it to me privately, not to the list.

p.s.: If you'd sent me a Cc of this message, i would have responded
quicker.  I can't afford it to scan this list on a daily basis.