Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:36:55 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: passwd file repair

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 11:28:44AM -0500, J. W. Ballantine wrote:

> I tried TERM=vt100, and it sort of works. i.e. it displays the passwd
> file (with the first line shifted to the right by about 50 chars) but
> the esc key doesn't work.  I then tried TERM=cons50 (the setting with
> a normal bootup), and vipw starts, but doesn't display the file and
> the esc key still doesn't work.
>
> Any thoughts on what TERM should be set to.

If you work from console, and your console is 80x50 lines, then cons50
should be OK.  If your console is normal 80x25, then use `cons25'.

As for <Esc> key, what do you mean it does not work?  Are you familiar
with vi(1)'s key sequences?  <Esc> in vi(1) is used to "escape" from
line-editing mode to `command' mode.  E.g., you edit the line, then
decide to write your modifications back and exit, you press <Esc>,
then <Z> and then <Z> again.

HTH,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the