Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:20:03 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: {a}sync updates (was Re: make install trick)

> > > An opionion.  I use the HP workstation model where my / is
> 1800M.  I have
>
> > 	You are not disagreeing with him, David. You are just talking about
> > 	another scenario other than the one under discussion.
> > 	He was talking about the case where root is small. This
> whole discussion
> >   was about how softupdates behaves in the subcase of small
> root partitions.
>
> This discussion was NOT about "how softupdates behaves in the subcase of
> small root partitions"  Imp was having problems in the face of
> softupdates on a full /.  The problem exists *reguardless* of how big /
> is, the issues is % free.

	No, this is a different issue. The problem was not that the filesystem was
full, but that the fill rate was comparable to the amount of 'empty' space.

> > 	If you have a 1.8Gb root partition that also includes /var
> and /usr, this
> > whole discussion is irrelevant.
>
> Why??  Because / can now not fill up?  I've installed enough
> KDE/GNOME/teTeX/etc... ports (plus /usr/{ports,src}) that I have acutally
> filled it up before.

	Yes, but if you fill up your root partition, there's nothing that can be
done. Full is full.

	We're talking about the special case of small root partitions, such that
softupdates inability to make empty space available quickly can make the
difference between a major operation's success or failure.

	This is almost impossible on a 1.8Gb root partition. And if you had a 1.8Gb
partition with only 15Mb free, the last thing you'd care about is how
softupdates will handle the situation.

	DS