Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:46:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        mpp@mpp.minn.net (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: screen snaps for syscons & pcvt

>From the keyboard of Mike Pritchard:

> I want to add a print screen interface to syscons and pcvt.

Great!

> When I last mentioned this, the discussion degraded down to "well,
> SCO did things a different way, and since syscons consoles are SCO
> type consoles, it should probably be compatible with how they did things".
> or "you should do it via escape sequences", etc.

Hm - as far as i remeber this discussion it was considered as being a
feature which implements a back door for some sort of attacks to the
system.

If this is true, it should be a compile time option so people with
security issues can fully disable it.

As far as pcvt is involved it would be extremely nice if the process
can also be triggered by using the (currently not implemented) print
screen escape sequence.

> I don't care.  I just want something nice and simple where I can hit
> shift+print_screen and get a printed copy of my current screen.  I'm sure
> that 90% of the FreeBSD user base would be more than happy with that.

Agreed.

> Now, if someone comes up with a good reason why each different
> virtual console should have a different processing program (e.g.

I don't see any reason.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe