Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 02:48:57 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: Comparing FreeBSD and other OSs

> answer is "none, DOS", but in some cases people really do care.  We
> should be able to help them come to a good decision--*not* necessarily
> FreeBSD.

I agree that this should also be a goal, though we shouldn't forget
that PR is the primary purpose here.  If we shine at something in
particular, we should note it without necessarily feeling obligated to
"sell" features of the other systems with the same zeal.  Maybe once
the Linux people start hyping FreeBSD I'll change my tune, but not
yet.. :-)

> us to want to make a choice by ourselves.  I think we should at least
> contact the other groups (yes, even Microsoft) and for a group to hack
> up some criteria for comparing the systems.  Possibly a magazine would

If you think you have a good chance of even getting these other groups
to return our phone calls, I dunno.  I can't imagine any exercise as
frustrating and ultimately pointless as trying to find the appropriate
person inside of Microsoft, explain what it is we're trying to do and
try to get them to participate in the test selection.  Woo doggies.  I
think I could just whap my head against an iron post outside for an
hour and achieve the same effect with less pain.

To be frank, if someone else would like to make approaches to the
likes of Microsoft, SCO and Sun, they're more than welcome to be my
guest.  If they actually succeed in getting some real buy-in from
those folks, I'll be the first to propose them for sainthood, then ask
them if they'd like to go into business with me since they're clearly
the most awesome salesperson to walk the planet since Dale Carnegie
and we could make a killing selling snow to the state of Alaska! :-)

> That brings us to the next point: what criteria?  I don't even know
> how to start, but here are some things that spring to mind:

Again, please bear in mind that this is a sales job first and
foremost; it doesn't have to be the most comprehensive survey to hit
the planet, nor would many people even bother to read it if it were.
I'm sorry if I'm sounding more like Bill Gates and less like an
engineer here, but truly - most people, and I'm not talking about 99%
of the engineers on this list who have already stepped away from the
herd simply by subscribing to it, don't WANT to wade through reams of
comparison data and make the kind of truly informed choice that an
engineer would respect.  They want to be told which is "better" so
that they can race straight through the selection process or reaffirm
that their original choice was the best one.

As I believe Justice Renquist is credited with saying, "What most
people call thinking is simply rearranging their prejudices."

That's not to say that this shouldn't be a perfectly credible attempt
to compare the OSes, and certainly some level of ethical and
"journalistic" standards will need to be maintained just to prevent
the entire thing from being dismissed out of hand as 100% hype, but
let's not let our engineering impulses get the best of us.  If we had
any actual marketers, this would be more properly their job.

This is why I think that expanding the purview to cover all UNIX
operating systems is a big mistake.  Not only does it increase the
complexity of the survey so much that it will never be completed in
any of our lifetimes, it's not even germain.  We're comparing, at
least I originally sought to compare, the FREE operating systems (and
sorry Dennis, but I mean free in the context of money changing hands,
not the number of hours it takes to come to grips with it) and this is
not and should not be a general UNIX critique.  Such would be the
fodder of at least one USENIX presentation and possibly an entire SAGE
conference.  Let's Keep It Simple and try to actually complete this in
a reasonable time-frame.

					Jordan