Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:50:53 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

Hi,

When this thread got started, I promised myself I'd stay out.
So much for personal integrity :-)

Give them something like the following:

"Dear xxx,

We and our predecessors [name them] have referred to and acknowledged your
trademark since 1985[?earlier]. If you maintain your position we will of
course remove all references to your mark from our products (and you'll
lose some free advertising).

Best regards,"

Simple as that. Give them the opportunity not to look like a bunch of
heavy-handed totalitarians.

Notice you don't promise to remove the software (although you might in fact
do that), just reference to the mark.

If some player in the computing biz weighs in with a cease and desist on
something important, a different approach will be called for anyway.

--
Bob Bishop			"My name is Bob, and I'm a hack(6) addict."
rb@gid.co.uk			[Rest of the group mumble sympathetically]