Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LFS system?

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > has any though been put towards a log based File system?
>
>   Lots.  See mount_lfs code (keep in mind that it doesn't work).  Do a
> "man -k lfs" to get the whole picture.

	Yep, lots.  Ousterhout, one of the designers of LFS, was at
Berkely. I belive the BS support was put in by his group originally.  The
concept was first implemented under the SPRITE OS.  It just hasn't been
maintained in the 4.4BSD's though. :-(

> > would it be a performance gain at all? i think it could be a major
> > improvement on heavily modified file systems for instance on a large News
> > server were a sync might take a few seconds to complete.
>
>   Performance gain?  I always though LFS files systems were slow, due to
> the extra overhead.  However, that overhead buys you security, and fast
> filesystems checks during start up.

	LFS is fast for filesystems with lots of write activity.  LFS is
optimized for large reads and writes by always writing tracks and such in
a single pass.  Futhermore, disk blocks are never updated, they are just
rewitten to a new location.  The clean-up you allude to does need to be
done asynchronously though by a cleaner-process.  It is akin to garbage
collection which make alot of people wrongly assume it has bad runtime
performance or predictability.  The log structure does provide nive data
security, but it is also a performance booster.  For more info look for a
paper called "Breaking the I/O Bottleneck" by Ousterhout, et al.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,